Welcome back to our final term.
We will continue to use CLASS DOJO to keep you updated on a day to day basis.
The staffing for class two is - Mrs Manley
- Mrs Parfitt (Mon/Tues and Thurs afternoon),Mrs Tidy (Weds/Thurs/Fri)
- PPA cover will be provided by Mrs Parfitt on a Thursday afternoon
Year 2 Home /school link letter –Summer Term
Our context for learning this term is ‘The Great Outdoors’.
This project has a science focus and teaches the children about plants, flowers, trees and creatures as living things found in different habitats. We will be grouping and classifying living things as well as planning and carrying out investigations. We will also be learning about a range of subjects that can be enjoyed outdoors such as; environmental art and den building, music, outdoor games and caring for the environment.
Pupils have been presented with the skills they need to learn for the term and have had a guided input into the type of activities they would like to do as part of our pupil led approach to planning.
Alongside this we will continue:
• To have daily numeracy (Big Maths) sessions where we cover a range a topics. In particular this term we will be looking at time (quarter to and past) on analogue and digital clocks, money ( giving change) ,weight (kg and g), measure (cm, m and km) shape (2d and 3d) and data handling ( constructing and interpreting charts and graphs).
• Daily phonic sessions, guided group reading and literacy sessions based on a topic related text. We will consolidate all writing genres and work towards greater accuracy and independence.
• To revise all maths Learn It’s and focus on: 6+8=14, 5+7=12, 5+8=13, 5+9= 14, 6+9=15, 7+9= 16 and 2,5,and 10 x tables., counting in 3’s form different starting points and dividing by 2,5,and 10. We will also consolidate basic maths concepts within a problem solving context.
• Daily Helper Heddiw (Welsh oracy) sessions and our Welsh focus is on transferring language patterns from the first person to the third person and Ar Lan Yr Mor ( By the Sea).
• Our values curriculum and this term our whole school value is FRIENDSHIP and within RE we will be learning about another faith (Judaism) and the story of Moses.
• To follow our ICT scheme which this term focuses on “ Data Handling” . This involves collecting data, constructing graphs, tables or pictograms and interpreting the results.
• Weekly Lending Library sessions.
Please continue to help your child by reading broadly with them and practicing the learn its aiming for instant recall. They should also be able to understand these learn its as a ‘fact family’. This means : 6+8=14
We have also been learning this with multiplication, so….
15 divided by 5=3
15 divided by 3=5
Other important information and dates:
· PE will usually take place on a Monday and Thursday. Please ensure that all kits ( shorts, t-shirts, joggers and trainers) are in school on these days. Also long hair needs to be tied back and jewelry removed or tape/plasters provided for earrings.
· Forest schools will continue on a Thursday afternoon and as the weather brightens up we intend to be outdoors more often so please ensure forest school clothes are sent to school each week regardless of which group your child is in.
· Thurs 18th May- Kerbcraft begins for a 7 week period.
· Tuesday 23rd May- School trip to Porthkerry Park for Den Building and nature trails (more details to follow shortly).
· Friday 26th May- last day of the half term.
· Monday 5th June – back to school
The Year 2 Team ( Mrs Manley, Mrs Parfitt and Mrs Tidy).
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!